September 1, 2005

Care to join me?

Today Instapundit is organizing a massive link-fest coordinating the blogosphere’s charity response to Katrina. It’s time for me to do my part as well.

So here is my proposal. I have little knowledge about which charities are most likely to do the most good. I know many of my readers may be more tuned in to this than I am, though. For the first reader who responds donating to a reputable charity for Katrina relief, I’ll match up to $100. Note that I’m flat broke until Sep 15 ( :-( ), but will match it at that time.

I’m going to see if Wilson or JimmyJ wants to join in on this as well. I’ll keep you updated.

Update: Wilson has offered to kick in $50. He’s subject to the same Sep 15 constraint as me though…

Update 2: Reader Hoover has graciously donated $100 to the American Red Cross, which takes care of my matching. And I just got off the phone with JimmyJ, who is offering $50 matching. So at this time (noon EST 9/1/05), we still have Wilson’s $50 and Jim’s $50 available for matching. Any takers?

Life, Liberty, and Property Group Blog linked with Katrina - Life, Liberty, Property Community’s Relief Efforts
Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave linked with Katrina - Life, Liberty, Property Community's Relief Efforts
Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave linked with Katrina - What Am I Donating?
Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 8:03 am || Permalink || Comments (12) || Trackback URL || Categories: Uncategorized

1. I am going to donate to the Red Cross as I have in the past during these types of events. They have the biggest coverage down there and provide most of the necessities to the people.

Comment by Hoover — September 1, 2005 @ 9:18 am
  2. Brad, TF and I are donating thru our church. We know that 100% of the money goes to the relief efforts.

Comment by Lucy Stern — September 1, 2005 @ 9:29 am
  3. Brad, This Sunday is dedicated as a Fast, as is the first Sunday of each month. In our church we donate the money we would have spent on those meals to a special poverty relief fund. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that I can spend as much as I want to on a meal that I don’t eat; why not be good to yourself on those missed meals and take the family out to a very expensive place for a missed steak and lobster meal, lots of missed beverages, lots of tip for having missed an excellent meal. Now how much did you enjoy that missed meal; send that money off as a donation and you have the idea. I plan to invite all my relatives to miss a meal on me this Sunday. Match that.

Comment by TF Stern — September 1, 2005 @ 9:38 am
  4. Hoover,
    What’s your donation amount? If it’s $150 or greater, Wilson and I have it matched. If it’s less, we still need a second charity.

TF,
    That’s a good little system. I’ll have to keep it in mind… Right now, the wife and I are missing meals out just to pay our bills, so I’ll have to file that away for future use :-)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 1, 2005 @ 10:29 am
  5. I attempted to donate $100 at http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate/ but the site is a little slow and backed up now. I will get my donation in before the 15th as well.

Comment by Hoover — September 1, 2005 @ 10:51 am
  6. I finally got through, donation made, via credit card if you don’t want to wait until the 15th.

“Thank you for your donation to the American Red Cross in response to the Hurricane 2005 Relief effort. Your donation enables the Red Cross to provide immediate relief and long-term support through shelter, food, water, comfort kits, and other relief supplies. The Red Cross is mobilizing thousands of volunteers from our nationwide network of 850 chapters to assist those in need. The American Red Cross encourages you to learn more about these and other efforts by visiting http://www.RedCross.org.

Together, we can save a life.

American Red Cross”

Comment by Hoover — September 1, 2005 @ 10:56 am
  7. Thanks Hoover!

Trust me, we don’t want to get into a discussion of my credit card balance in relation to my credit limit. It’s uglier than my bank account balance!

I will have my $100 in to them on the 15th.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 1, 2005 @ 10:59 am
  8. Katrina – What Am I Donating?

Now that I’ve plugged a couple of charities and my company’s efforts, here’s what my wife and I are doing. My charity of choice is America’s Second Harvest. My wife’s charity of choice is Blood Source, a northern California blood…

Trackback by Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave — September 1, 2005 @ 11:32 am
  9. Shoot, too bad you guys can’t put the money up until the 15th. Otherwise I’d say let’s pool it all together and donate it via me, since my employer is doing dollar for dollar matching up to $1 million. By the 15th (actually probably by the 5th) we’ll have easily hit the ceiling though.

Comment by Eric — September 1, 2005 @ 11:52 am
  10. Katrina – Life, Liberty, Property Community’s Relief Efforts

Trackback by Eric's Grumbles Before The Grave — September 1, 2005 @ 1:31 pm
  11. Katrina – Life, Liberty, Property Community’s Relief Efforts

I’m posting a round up of posts from the Life, Liberty, Property community that deals with their relief efforts, or anything else they care to add on Hurricane Katrina Relief. I’ll keep this at the top through midnight Friday, 9/02/05. Thi…

Trackback by Life, Liberty, and Property Group Blog — September 1, 2005 @ 1:32 pm
  12. Good news! A friend of mine works for a company who doubles donations. So he is fronting the money for my donation to the Red Cross, and my $100 turns into $200. Not only that, it gets to them immediately instead of waiting until the 15th. So a big thank you to Justin!

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 2, 2005 @ 10:08 am