December 9, 2005

Some quickies while I hit the links…

Northeast Braces for Snow, Frigid Temps

A storm that wreaked havoc as it dumped as much as 10 inches of snow from Texas to Indiana barreled eastward on Friday, promising to bring more of the same.

Ouch… I’ll be thinking of all you folks while I’m out playing golf today :-D

———————————————

Earth’s Magnetic Pole Drifting Quickly

Earth’s north magnetic pole is drifting away from North America and toward Siberia at such a clip that Alaska might lose its spectacular Northern Lights in the next 50 years, scientists said Thursday.

Scientists have long known that magnetic poles migrate and in rare cases, swap places. Exactly why this happens is a mystery.

Previous studies have shown that the strength of the Earth’s magnetic shield has decreased 10 percent over the past 150 years. During the same period, the north magnetic pole wandered about 685 miles out into the Arctic, according to a new analysis by Stoner.

I blame global warming.

———————————————

I found a new mutual fund to invest in. The Vice Fund. They invest in liquor, tobacco, gambling, and war. As the song says, “these are a few of my favorite things.”

“It is the Advisor’s philosophy that although often considered politically incorrect, these and similar industries and products…will continue to experience significant capital appreciation during good and bad markets. The Advisor considers these industries to be nearly ‘recession-proof.’” – Vice Fund Prospectus, July 29, 2005, page 2.

Sounds pretty plausible to me.

———————————————

I’ve reposted my piece on Natural Rights over at The Liberty Papers.

———————————————

Let’s just call it even, okay?

A Turkish villager who ran away with his friend’s wife has offered his own wife in exchange, newspapers said on Thursday.

Farm laborer Cengiz Esme said Gulhan, his wife of 18 years, disappeared a month ago after leaving their village to go shopping in the southern Turkish town of Tarsus.

The 36-year-old said his village friend Mehmet Yaksi had telephoned him the next day and said: “I’ve run off with your wife …. You take my wife,” the Radikal daily reported.

Esme pleaded for Gulhan to return and said he was ready to forgive her and make a fresh start elsewhere. The reports said Yaksi’s wife, a mother of three, declined to comment on the situation.

She declined to comment, the only sound in the room was Yaksi’s wife loading her Kalashnikov.

———————————————

Time to erase ‘blue laws’

Darn right. I do sincerely hope that I can get Georgia to start allowing liquor and beer sales on Sundays. If the stores want to remain closed on Sunday, they can choose to do so.

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 10:09 am || Permalink || Comments (13) || Trackback URL || Categories: Uncategorized

1. About the weather thing – yeah, bite me… and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Comment by Ethne — December 9, 2005 @ 2:24 pm
  2. Yeah, what he said. We’ve had a week and a half of sub-zero temperatures; highs lucky to reach double digits and windchills bottoming out at around -30.

Oh, and did I mention that we have a foot of snow on the ground?

Comment by Mike — December 9, 2005 @ 2:33 pm
  3. Blame it on all those soccer moms driving their SUV’s back and forth. Better yet, it’s all Bush’s fault, he lied about the direction we were going because the CIA hadn’t checked their compass headings, that’s it, Bush Lied!

Comment by TF Stern — December 9, 2005 @ 3:44 pm
  4. magnetic shift caused by global warming? first of shush you are not supposed to use that word. ocean tempartures are not increasing, hurricanes are not getting more powerful or numerous are you daft. oh that’s right you don’t work for NOAA so you can say what you reallly feel . sorry.

as for the magnetic shift, either you are a really funny guy or the wrong guy on that post is named stoner.

Comment by reverend gisher — December 10, 2005 @ 8:25 am
  5. My dog is barking– I blame global warming.

Does that answer your concerns?

Comment by Brad Warbiany — December 10, 2005 @ 10:47 am
  6. I wish they had kept the blue laws here in Texas.

Comment by Lucy Stern — December 10, 2005 @ 3:35 pm
  7. Why, Lucy?

Comment by Brad Warbiany — December 10, 2005 @ 4:54 pm
  8. Re: Earth’s Magnetic Pole Drifting Quickly

It’s the damn Ruskies stealing our magnetism!

Comment by Blanklook — December 11, 2005 @ 1:50 am
  9. Brad, Back in the days of the blue laws, a Sunday was a Sunday. People could go to church and just have a nice day off. Now Sunday is just like any other day of the week. I was pregeant with Bonnie when they changed the laws and I was glad that I would be leaving the working world at that time. If I had stayed, I would have had to work on Sunday at the department store and I would not have been able to go to church. For those that have to work, it puts a kink in the church going habit.
    Brad, I guess I’m old fashioned, but that’s my reasoning. I know it’s not going to happen, progress, you know.

Comment by Lucy Stern — December 11, 2005 @ 9:05 am
  10. oh yea it does, i left out “nice post”.

Comment by reverend gisher — December 11, 2005 @ 12:36 pm
  11. Lucy,
    Again, for me it comes down to choice. I don’t like being mandated by law that I cannot do something on one day that is perfectly legal on other days. For me it’s not even about work, because very little in Georgia is related to workplace rules.

I just don’t understand why you cannot buy beer on Sunday. And taken from your example, it wouldn’t cause the supermarkets (which are already open) to need any additional workers than if the blue law was repealed. But some people think it’s “immoral” to have a beer on Sunday. After all, it’s a day of “rest”, and there’s not much in this world more restful than watching football and drinking beer.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — December 12, 2005 @ 10:56 am
  12. Georgia blue laws. Grrr. A friend and I drove to Atlanta for a baseball game on a Sunday. The grocery store was open and had shelves and shelves of beer it could not sell us. So our tailgating plans were dashed.

At the baseball game itself, however, vendors were more than happy to sell us $10 cups of beer.

What a joke.

Comment by Sam — December 12, 2005 @ 3:55 pm
  13. Love the Vice Fund. Reminds me of the people who think that ATF should be a convenience store. Good stuff.

jack