May 25, 2006

Looks like a Success!

Well, I didn’t quite make it to the FairTax rally last night… Had I thought that there would be an attendance problem, I definitely would have headed over, but early in the day I realized the whole place would be mobbed…

Local news had this to say:

AJC: Rally for national sales tax draws overflow crowd

It wasn’t exactly the Boston Tea Party but this modern mob must have made a lot more noise.

About 4,500 raucous tax protesters packed the Gwinnett Convention Center on Wednesday night to hear politicians, musicians and talk show celebrities call for the end of the federal income tax and the creation of a 23 percent national sales tax to replace it.

The size of the “Fair Tax Rally” crowd was so large that event organizers, prodded by a fire marshal, turned away roughly 2,000 rallygoers. Many gathered in the parking lot to listen to the event on radio.

6,500 people for a rally on TAXES. A NYT #1 Best-Selling book about TAXES.

Gwinnett Daily Post: FairTax rally jams Civic Center

U.S. Rep. John Linder has said for years that only a groundswell among the American people will convince Congress to scrap the Internal Revenue Service and replace it with a national sales tax.

Wednesday night’s rally at a jammed Gwinnett Convention Center in support of Linder’s FairTax bill looked a lot like the popular uprising the Duluth Republican has envisioned since he introduced what has become his signature legislation in 1999.

“The grass roots are working,” said Joseph Gullett of Norcross, motioning to more than 100 people gathered outside the convention center listening to a radio broadcast of the rally because they couldn’t get into the packed building.

“It’s nice to see all these people with the same ideas,” added Richard Trenchik, who drove all the way from Warner Robins only to be turned back from the center after it had reached its capacity of 4,500 people.

And a little video from the local CBS news

And from the national media?

[crickets chirping]

Maybe Boortz is just going to have to take this show back out on the road.

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 4:38 pm || Permalink || Comments (6) || Trackback URL || Categories: News, Snark, Taxes

1. Don’t worry about the national media. They can’t ignore this movement for long based on what I saw last night.

Comment by Brian — May 25, 2006 @ 5:14 pm
  2. As Royal would say: “just damn”!

I leave Atlanta and what happens?…a libertarian meet-up and a Fair Tax Rally. My timing kinda sucks!

Comment by Robert — May 25, 2006 @ 7:43 pm
  3. woohoo!

FairTax may be a dream, but damn is it a good one. Also, Boortz is officially the only radio host I can stand.

Comment by IndianCowboy — May 25, 2006 @ 8:01 pm
  4. Hi there,
    I am Joseph Gullett, the same Joseph quoted in the Gwinnett Daily News article above. I really appreciate you “calling out” the national media on their coverage. They are overjoyed to cover single anti-war protestor, but refuse to even acknowledge 6000 FairTax Supporters.

My wife and I designed a website about a year ago in support of the fairtax. It is http://www.fairtaxrevolution.com. It allows you to send letters to your Congressmen, the President, and even Secretary Snow.

Comment by FairTaxRevolution.com — May 29, 2006 @ 6:15 pm
  5. Good work, Joseph. Well you’re around, you may want to take a look at The FairTax Blog, where I also contribute.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 29, 2006 @ 6:27 pm
  6. The only way we can get the FairTax passed is to elect more FairTax candidates. Chuck Ahner is that FairTax Candidate for Kansas. As a West Point graduate and senior vice president at one of the biggest employers in the state, he proudly support the FairTax! Chuck has made educating voters and supporting H.R. 25 a key part of his platform; if only all our representatives would do that. He is gaining a tremendous amount of support in his race to unseat a very vulnerable Democrat. Chuck gave a great speech to the Third District FairTax group last month and will speak to the Wichita FairTax group on Thursday. Chuck is extremely electable and I am doing everything possible to help him. I am tired of waiting on other candidates who are lukewarm about getting rid of the income tax, aren’t you?
    If you want to see the FairTax become reality, make sure that Chuck becomes our next Congressman. I would ask that you contribute to his campaign at http://www.ahnerforcongress.com/donate2.php and make a statement for the FairTax.

Comment by Willie Davis — June 7, 2006 @ 1:00 pm