February 18, 2007

Watching A Person Melt Down

I’ve said before that I’m a big fan of schadenfreude. But as I said then, when a person is actually self-destructing, it’s not funny at all. Which is why I find this to be incredibly sad…

britney_bald1_180

Britney Spears checked into a rehab facility and then abruptly checked out, a source confirms to PEOPLE. And then on Friday, she returned to Southern California – and she shaved her head completely bald.

There’s something wrong in her bald little head. You stick a semi-normal little girl into the celebrity pressure cooker, and eventually it gets to be too much. If anything, I think it might be an issue that nothing in her life is really “hers” any more. No matter where she goes or what she does, she’s in the public eye. No amount of money can give you back your life, when the paparazzi and the celebrity hounds have turned that life into a product, for which their demand is insatiable.

The cult of celebrity in this country is sickening, and Britney Spears is a casualty. She just wasn’t strong enough to own her life when the “fans” (which, of course, is a word short for “fanatic”) tried to take it for themselves.

I’ve often said I want to be rich, but I NEVER want to be famous.

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 10:43 am || Permalink || Comments (11) || Trackback URL || Categories: Media, News, Pop Culture, Uncategorized

1. share your thought on britneys melt down. Thumbs up or Thumbs down to her new egghead look?

the results might suprise you!

Comment by jsutevan — February 18, 2007 @ 12:02 pm
  2. I think it is a cry for help! If she is not careful, she will lose her children. I pray that she comes to her senses before it is too late.

Comment by Lucy Stern — February 20, 2007 @ 10:38 am
  3. I find it strangely amusing that you’re showing sympathy for little-miss trailer park. Didn’t you and I have a conversation in 2000 about how we expected to see Britney doing soft-core within a decade?

Comment by Sober John — February 23, 2007 @ 12:09 pm
  4. John,

My predictions and my desires are two entirely different things. I don’t desire to see the world chew up and spit out someone like Britney. Many people seek fame, without realizing the true implication of being famous.

Britney may well be doing soft-core by the end of the decade. Afterwards, when she looks back on her life from the age of 50, though, she might come to the realization that remaining a “normal” person in Louisiana could have provided more enjoyment to her life. And that’ll be a sad day.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — February 23, 2007 @ 12:48 pm
  5. Taking your comments a step further: perhaps she did not seek fame so much as her family (read: parents) sought fame for her in an effort to live a celebrity’s life vicariously through their daughter.

We like to see the world chew up & spit out people all the time. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “someone like Britney,” though. What makes her any less deserving of her follicle-less fate than others?

In any sense, I still have very little sympathy for her. Of course, I have little sympathy for anyone…

Comment by Sober John — February 23, 2007 @ 1:10 pm
  6. The “someone like Britney” comment should be more read as “anyone”, not that there’s anything special about her.

Let me put my viewpoint in terms of someone we both know: Valentino Rossi. Valentino Rossi is a European superstar, who gets mobbed wherever he goes. What does he think about it?

But success on the track comes with its price to Rossi’s personal life. Despite his colourful personality, he’s not completely comfortable with his growing fame. Valentino mania in Italy has reached the point that he can only visit his home country for short periods before being overcome and retreating to his London residence.

“To be Valentino Rossi means many positive things, but it also means paying a very high price for that same popularity,” Rossi has been quoted as saying. “I don’t like being famous, it is like a prison. To relax, maybe start a family and live a normal life. This would be virtually impossible to achieve in Italy.”

Think about that for a second. He refers to his fame as “a prison”. He isn’t allowed to have his own life anymore in Italy. His life has become a product as a result of his fame. In fact, living in his home country isn’t even possible for him.

Do you have sympathy for him?

Comment by Brad Warbiany — February 23, 2007 @ 1:39 pm
  7. Yes I do, but not because he’s Valentino and Britney’s Britney. Rather because his popularity comes as a by-product of his racing success. Britney’s celebrity status on the other hand is tantamount to her success–she wouldn’t be successful if she wasn’t popular.

If Valentino, or any racer for that matter, weren’t as popular/amiable in the public eye, he could still be a successful racer (e.g. Dani Pedrosa).

Therefore it’s not truly an accurate comparison between the two.

Comment by Sober John — February 23, 2007 @ 2:09 pm
  8. I see your distinction. Being famous for being good at doing something (separate from singing or acting, where “good” is usually measured by popularity) is a separate situation from being famous for something that is measured by popularity.

That doesn’t change my opinion of the situation, though. I don’t like to see people get crushed by their own fame. Even if it’s Britney Spears, it’s still sad. I can imagine for her, growing up a poor country girl in Louisiana, dreaming of what it would be like if she could get out. And she did it. Now she finds that her dreams were realized, but that the life she’s found is, as Rossi describes, a “prison”.

She got what she thought she wanted, fame. Only now I think she’s starting to realize two things:

1. It’s not what she really wanted.

and

2. She can NEVER give it back.

If it was only #1, I wouldn’t really feel sorry for her. But now she can never escape this fame. There is no parole from this prison.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — February 23, 2007 @ 4:11 pm
  9. Feh. Of course there’s a way out of this, it’s just not a quick or easy way out. Ever wonder what happened to Tiffany, Ralph Macchio, Huey Lewis, Scott Baio, or any of the New Kids On The Block (besides Donny)? My point is this: given enough time and mediocrity, all “celebrities” will eventually become as easily approachable as us mere mortals.

All Britney has to do is make music so crappy that even TRL won’t touch it and maybe turn her cinematic tour-de-force debut “Crossroads” into a direct-to-DVD trilogy, and she’ll fade from the limelight faster than you can say Debbie Gibson.

Much quicker than she rose, Britney has fallen from grace. But she only has a little further to go until she can fumble one of her soon-to-be-plentiful infant children in front of the Wal-Mart without creating a nationwide panic.

Comment by Sober John — February 23, 2007 @ 4:43 pm
  10. Oh, and I agree that being rich is better than being famous. I’d just rather be powerful.

Remember: it’s always better to be feared than admired.

Comment by Sober John — February 23, 2007 @ 4:47 pm
  11. John, I think I would rather be admired than rich…but that’s me. Look at Helen Mirren that won the best actress at the Academy awards last Sunday, she is very much admired in my eyes. She has class and is one great actress, but she is level headed and a wonderful actress. She can be admired and probably rich without getting mobbed. I admire her.

Comment by Lucy Stern — February 27, 2007 @ 11:19 am