April 22, 2007

The Fire Will Set You Free

So, tonight was fajita night… This is how I do it:

000_0275-custom.jpg

We got some beef, some onion, some red and yellow pepper, and one special ingredient. One whole habanero pepper… (I actually cut out some of the seeds/membrane, because I’m not insane, but I leave enough in there to make it hurt).

One of the disadvantages to my wife being out of town is that I have to cook for myself. One of the advantages, though, is that I can eat all the things she doesn’t like. She’s an exceptional cook, but doesn’t have quite the heat tolerance I do. I usually have to poke and prod to get her to put a serrano chile into a Mexican dish. So this was a nice little treat.

However, with a post like this, a public service announcement is in order. Kids, don’t eat a whole raw habanero pepper. It’s a religious experience… You know, the “lake of fire” kind…

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 9:15 pm || Permalink || Comments (15) || Trackback URL || Categories: Food, Personal Life

1. Anything else in it?

Comment by Jason — April 22, 2007 @ 9:34 pm
  2. Just the premade fajitas seasoning, some cheese and tortillas…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — April 22, 2007 @ 9:57 pm
  3. Cheese on fajitas? Philistine.

One thing I have really loved about moving to AZ is the great food.

Comment by Nick M. — April 22, 2007 @ 11:22 pm
  4. That’s the kind of pepper that hurts when it goes in and it hurts when it come out….

It looks like you are a pretty good cook yourself. Add a little guacamole and a little sour cream on top and Whalla! You are making me hungry, Brad.

I would bet your wife is staying away from peppers completely right now, with the baby on the way….

Comment by Lucy Stern — April 23, 2007 @ 4:52 am
  5. habanero good
    beef bad

one can never have too many vegetables and peppers in mexican food. the reason i suggest shying away from the beef is mainly because it will clog your arteries over time – same goes for pork. speaking of which, its been about seven years since i’ve eaten either of those meats myself – and i almost gave in not long ago to eat beef again. The reason? We were at white castle and mrs. mabus had never eaten one before and i said, “i want to see you eat one” going against her reluctant will and to make sure i’d see her eat one i told her i’d eat one too (even though i used to eat those by the suitcase back in the day). needless to say, she ate one on her own. i guess she thinks that i can’t digest beef anymore despite the fact that i eat other kinds of meat. **shrugs**

and oh, uh pass me some of those peppers too amigo… i need some until my father-in-law’s garden is ready to harvest.

Comment by mabus — April 23, 2007 @ 7:00 am
  6. Nick,

You came from Indiana, where the food sucks… Most states would be an improvement… That being said, though, I definitely see your point on Mexican food. It’s way better in CA than GA…

mabus,

Last time I got my cholesterol checked, it was 124. I’m genetically predisposed to eating large quantities of meat.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — April 23, 2007 @ 7:44 am
  7. Brad,

All you know of Indiana food is dorm food and Anna’s “cooking”. I put forth that neither are actually food.

Nick

Comment by Nick M. — April 23, 2007 @ 9:51 am
  8. Considering the budget Anna had, I would be amazed if she could have afforded actual “food”. She followed the age-old recipe of “deep fry it, it’ll be edible”…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — April 23, 2007 @ 10:16 am
  9. Hey Brad and Nick, get off Anna’s back.

Comment by Jim — April 23, 2007 @ 12:38 pm
  10. Hey, I actually enjoyed Anna’s food(so much so, that I left the house with a cholesterol count of 280), I was stating that deep fried everything isn’t a good representation of Indiana food. So, what say you now Mr. Jim? And, if you are who I think you are, don’t make me come over there and pummel you again.

Nick

Comment by Nick M. — April 23, 2007 @ 6:26 pm
  11. Nick,

He is who you think he is… The question is whether he knows who you are?

Comment by Brad Warbiany — April 23, 2007 @ 11:29 pm
  12. He may actually know my real name.

Comment by Nick M. — April 24, 2007 @ 6:06 pm
  13. I remember when you ate the whole habanero.

It’s probably the last time I saw you cry…

Comment by Sober John — April 26, 2007 @ 11:16 am
  14. John,

I had a feeling you’d bring that up… That’s one mistake I’m never going to make again. Like the day I put three drops of Dave’s Insanity Sauce on a fajita… One drop is MORE than enough!

Comment by Brad Warbiany — April 30, 2007 @ 10:33 am