May 2, 2007

The Land Of Fun & Sun

Alright, time to eat a little crow. I wrote a post about 2 years ago called “My Dust Bowl Migration”. In that post, I suggested that California was a lost cause, a place which will soon become the true People’s Republic that has been joked about for years. And I said it was time to leave for greener pastures.

Which makes it tough to say this… I’m going back.

The wife had been having trouble throughout most of last year, missing her family and friends. She grew up in a family that is extremely close, and all the square footage in the world doesn’t replace that. When we found out that she was pregnant, that was too much. So we decided to make the move.

Since my boss had held off until last night to actually make the announcement (and since I have a few coworkers who occasionally read this blog), I couldn’t announce it here. But it’s coming fast. We close out our house next Friday, and at that point I get in the car and start driving. In a mere two weeks, I’ll be a California resident again.

Obviously, if you know me, you know I’ve got some mixed feelings on this. I have to start going back to an office, which sucks. We’re moving from a 3400 sq ft 4-bedroom house into a 930 sq ft 2-bedroom apartment, saving $200 a month because we got a stellar deal. It’s off to a land of taxation, regulation, and a place where I’ll have to raise my son defensively so he’s not polluted by the culture of SoCal. There’s an infectious “status” society out there… While I was in California over this past weekend, I told two different groups of people that I didn’t have a TV. All I got in response were open-mouthed, aghast stares. Heck, when I bought my POS truck, part of the reason was that I refused to take part in the “If you don’t drive a Lexus you’re worthless” society. To put it simply, there’s something seriously wrong with LA culture, and while I may begin living there, I refuse to take part in it. In fact, it makes me angry to be around it. I’ve even joked for years that when I’m in LA, I’m always within 5 minutes of an assault charge… So stay tuned to the blog, there’s no telling what might happen!

On the bright side, though, I managed to get a few positives. We’ll be living in Dana Point, CA, which is down in south Orange County, not quite as horrible as LA. We’ll also be a 3/4 mile walk to the beach, which is close enough that I can take the dogs down there quite easily. I told Joanna that if I was headed back to CA, I need to be near the beach, and that worked out. One of the nice things about living near the beach, so I’m told, is that “there are only assholes on three sides of you”. Also on the bright side (for me, anyway), the housing market in SoCal is in it’s first stage of implosion. When the recession sets in over the next year, it will get truly ugly, and I think if I wait it out about 2-3 years, I should be able to buy in when it gets close to a trough. Last, I have a healthy wife and a baby boy on the way, and I’m sure when I see his face for the first time I’ll forget about where I’m living and just be thankful for life itself.

Oh, and from what I hear, Arnold’s going to pay for my healthcare, so I’ve got that going for me, right?

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 10:45 am || Permalink || Comments (13) || Trackback URL || Categories: Baby, Personal Life

1. Another plus for you, Brad. You’ll be that much farther away from South Bend, IN, so there will be even LESS of a chance of your son going to Notre Dame. :)

Comment by Jeremy — May 2, 2007 @ 11:33 am
  2. We were almost neighbors. Good idea on waiting to buy, and keep brewing for the love of beer.

Aloha.

Comment by Jack Stevison — May 2, 2007 @ 1:31 pm
  3. Too bad it’s not San Diego, then I’d have a place to stay when I go surfing. If you need another POS truck, you can grab mine on the way thru AZ.

Nick

Comment by Nick M. — May 2, 2007 @ 8:53 pm
  4. What, you can’t surf up my way? Remember, I’ve got a pickup, so if you want to swing out this way and toss your board in the truck, we can head anywhere in SoCal to go surfing. San Onofre, which is a good longboard spot from what I hear, isn’t far south of me. I haven’t checked out Salt Creek Beach (which is the beach 3/4 mile from my place), but that may acceptable for surfing as well.

I need to get back into shape, and I think getting back on a surfboard will help immensely :-)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 2, 2007 @ 9:13 pm
  5. Nick,

From the looks of things, Salt Creek Beach (which is actually walking distance from my apartment, even with a surfboard under arm) is a decent surf spot. Looks to be about 5 hours from Tempe to Dana Point.

See you this summer sometime… Bring your board, I’ll provide the beer :-)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 2, 2007 @ 9:53 pm
  6. Dude, why… I mean… damn.

You were FREE for two years man, how can you go back to that.

Comment by Chris Byrne — May 2, 2007 @ 10:13 pm
  7. Chris,

My wife is currently deciding whether to vote for Obama or Hillary. I love her dearly, but she’s a project. I’m slowly making progress, and maybe in 5-10 years, when she sees the damage that California and government in general does to people, we’ll be on our way to the Free State… But it’s going to take time.

In the meantime, I’m not worried about the CA regulatory state. I don’t accept their authority, and I only will follow their laws to the extent that I believe I may get caught. Beyond that, screw ‘em. Outside of taxes (which isn’t as big of a difference as I’d think), I wasn’t much more FREE in GA than I will be in CA. They can make their rules, it doesn’t mean I’ll follow them.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 2, 2007 @ 10:39 pm
  8. Brad,

6 hours from Tucson, which is where I live as of 3 months ago. But, I will definitely have to look you up. Probably still have to get a hotel, unless the wife is cool with anywhere from 3-6 guys crashing in your apartment.

Comment by Nick M. — May 2, 2007 @ 11:08 pm
  9. 3-6? Did you multiply?

But yeah, at 930 sq ft, we might be able to handle 2, not 3-6…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 2, 2007 @ 11:22 pm
  10. Nah, No multiplying, but when I roll to Cali, I roll with my posse of Arizona wannabe surfers.

Comment by Nick M. — May 3, 2007 @ 9:47 am
  11. Tonka’s got a posse? Scary thought…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — May 3, 2007 @ 10:43 am
  12. Brad,

Just think of me like Robert Duvall’s character in Apocolypse Now. I like to surf, I like to shoot, I like to blow shit up, and I like flying(getting my pilots license, maybe helicopter too). So, I of course have a posse.

Comment by Nick M. — May 3, 2007 @ 1:12 pm
  13. Brad, this is a surprise! I thought the two of you were happy in Georgia. I hope you get a good price for your house and are able to put some of that money back for a good down payment when you buy your house in California….I’m sure that you can probably wait out the housing prices and get a good deal. You might even watch the foreclousure lists. I wish you all the luck in the world….

How soon before the baby arrives?

Comment by Lucy Stern — May 3, 2007 @ 2:38 pm