July 31, 2007

The Keg Is Empty

In my brew history, there have been some good times. Particularly recently, with a trophy, a blue ribbon, and the potential for some mini-fame with the Sam Adams thing.

But it’s not all trophies and blue ribbons. Occasionally there are failures. The Agave Wheat is one of them. I’m finally done with the keg, though, so I can officially call it a failure. It’s not that the beer was poorly made; it was brewed properly. It was just a bad recipe. The Agave syrup was more flavorful than I expected, and took over the mild flavors of a wheat recipe I started with. It was bearable if I could squeeze a wedge of lime in there, but even with the lime not something I would call “good”.

I haven’t given up on the agave idea, but I learned that it’s far too strong of a flavor for the recipe I started with. I’m trying to think of a potential recipe to use it, perhaps a wheat beer with fruit to balance the agave. The wife even suggested a hard lemonade with agave, which might just be perfect.

As I’ve said before, any experience is useful if something is learned from it. This is one of those “what not to do” experiments, but at the same time it game me ideas about what I can do with the agave, and if I choose to use it in another beer, I’ll know how to make good use of the flavor.

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 10:32 pm || Permalink || Comments (7) || Trackback URL || Categories: Beer, Personal Life

1. It’s all about the learning experience, isn’t it? I’ve been watching from afar as some friends and relatives have done their own brewing, and I am quite jealous. Maybe someday.

Oh, and I never had a chance to congratulate you on the Sam Adams thing. Great job, and good luck in October!

Comment by Wulf — August 1, 2007 @ 5:13 am
  2. So it was beer with agave? Kinda like that stuff that had a few years ago–Tequiza!

Comment by Sober John — August 1, 2007 @ 1:13 pm
  3. A good learning experience.

Comment by Lucy Stern — August 2, 2007 @ 1:50 am
  4. John,

My beer was like tequiza only so far as they both had agave. Beyond that, there were really no similarities with regards to ingredients, style of beer (they didn’t have any wheat), type of beer (theirs was a lager, mine an ale), hops, etc. I think they also added lime extract to Tequiza…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — August 2, 2007 @ 7:17 am
  5. I like the idea of a hard limeade w/ agave. Or you could do the whole Sprite thing and use lymon.

Comment by chris — August 4, 2007 @ 4:39 am
  6. Hi. Fellow brewer here and I have to say that my interest is peaked. I’ve been thinking of adding some agave to a cherry wheat that I have in my secondary. I curious about the flavor that the agave gave to beer. Any hints and details would be great.

Comment by wendy — August 9, 2007 @ 6:53 pm
  7. Wendy,

It definitely gave a heat and harshness similar to the taste of tequila. The sort of taste that hits the back of your throat and makes you pay attention.

It’s far too strong of a flavor to survive in a standard wheat recipe. It definitely needs to be cut with something, and my first thought (like yours) would be fruit. I don’t want to do the lime thing, but maybe cherry would work.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — August 9, 2007 @ 9:44 pm