October 15, 2007

Back Home — No Acclaim For Me

Well, I am back from the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, and unfortunately I have to report that I did not win the Samuel Adams Longshot Competition. In all honesty, I did get to taste the winners’ beer, and I really can’t be too upset, as Rodney’s Weizenbock and Mike’s Double IPA are both extremely good.

The folks from Sam Adams took care of us this weekend, and there were some really cool events that we had access to. The festival was definitely something I’ve wanted to attend since I learned of its existence, so getting that chance was great. I got to meet Jim Koch, which was cool. So a big thanks to Rob & Kelly in particular, and all the Sam Adams folks I met in general, are in order. As I’ve said before, it was one of my 15 minutes of fame, and it was certainly an enjoyable minute. If all goes well, I’ll try to be headed back within the next few years as well!

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 7:01 am || Permalink || Comments (9) || Trackback URL || Categories: Uncategorized

1. Glad you had fun, Brad.

Comment by Lucy Stern — October 15, 2007 @ 9:03 am
  2. Brad,

I really had a great time meeting you and your friends. Maybe next time I won’t be so busy and I can be a better host and show you more of the sites.

Comment by Stephen Littau — October 15, 2007 @ 10:27 am
  3. Ah… old buddies, Jim and I:

So, Brad, how many laws would it violate (other than likely beer murder due to temperature) to have you ship me some of your homebrew? I can’t think we’ll make it out to California any time soon. Maybe next fall in Chicago you could bring some along, eh?

Comment by Sam — October 15, 2007 @ 12:06 pm
  4. Sam,

You know how much I care whether shipping beer over state lines is legal… I’ve done it before anyway :-)

Shipping any alcohol via USPS is illegal… It’s against UPS and (most likely) Fedex company policy, but as long as you pack your own box you really don’t have to worry about it. So that can be arranged…

But I’m sure at some point I can get you some. With the new job, I’ll be traveling throughout the midwest regularly.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — October 15, 2007 @ 9:41 pm
  5. I say you FedEx me a bottle and pack it in dry ice so it stays cold…

Comment by Sober John — October 16, 2007 @ 11:52 am
  6. FYI for both Sam & John…

The whole “temperature fluctuation makes beer go skunky” idea is a myth. As long as you don’t go through huge wild temp swings (particularly on the hot end, like > 120 degrees), beer will be fine.

Light is actually what skunks beer, and lack of freshness (with *most* beer, some ages quite well) can lead to an otherwise good beer going bad. But temperature fluctuation isn’t going to do anything bad to the beer.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — October 16, 2007 @ 7:48 pm
  7. Put me on the list for beer shipments.

Comment by Nick M. — October 16, 2007 @ 8:48 pm
  8. Nick, you live too damn close for me to ship you beer. You have to come visit and pick it up yourself!

Comment by Brad Warbiany — October 16, 2007 @ 9:18 pm
  9. I didn’t mean pack it in cold stuff to keep it from going skunk. I know that light is the primary cause of skunking rather than heat.

I just wanted it to still be cold when it got here so I could crack it open and take a swig right away.

Comment by Sober John — October 17, 2007 @ 7:12 am