July 25, 2008

I’m Officially Old

It’s been a couple of strange years. The wife and I went from young DINK couple, renting apartments in California, to the responsibility of home ownership in Georgia. But then, in just over the past year, we came back to California, back to renting, but adding one child and reducing ourselves to one income (although, with the responsibility of my new job, an improved income). Now, she’s working on starting a new business, we’re keeping our eyes on the housing market for an entrance sometime in 2009.

And then I had to have the nerve to turn 30. As if becoming a parent isn’t enough new responsibility, I had to officially leave the carefree days of 29 and become old.

Time to start living vicariously through Wyatt, because my opportunities have closed off. Hopefully he’ll remember me when he starts the Martian colony that I was hoping to found. Ugh. 30! Why me?!

Posted By: Brad Warbiany @ 3:29 am || Permalink || Comments (8) || Trackback URL || Categories: Personal Life, Ponderings

1. What will you feel when you reach my age?

Happy Birthday

Comment by VRB — July 25, 2008 @ 10:49 am
  2. Happy Birthday! Hey I have heard a lot of great things about being 30 — not sure what this says about the delayed onset of adulthood, but many are now saying that 30 is the new 20!

It can’t be *that* bad!

Comment by Justin — July 25, 2008 @ 11:11 am
  3. “It can’t be *that* bad!”

Yeah, at least at the “new 20″ I can legally drink beer…

Not that it stopped me much back then, though :-)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — July 25, 2008 @ 3:20 pm
  4. Ha Ha Ha

You’re just so…old!

Comment by Sober John — July 26, 2008 @ 8:47 am
  5. Old ? Ha.

Get back to me in 10 years and we’ll talk about reached 40

Of course, I’ll be 50 by then.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — July 27, 2008 @ 4:35 am
  6. Good Grief! I have a daughter that just turned 30 last April…..You could be 58, try that on for size…..Be grateful for that age Brad, you only comes once in a life time…..BTW: Happy Birthday….

Comment by Lucy Stern — July 28, 2008 @ 9:34 am
  7. I don’t know what your problem is, I turn 21 on Wednesday.

Comment by Nick M. — July 28, 2008 @ 4:31 pm
  8. Hey man, I happened upon your site when I googled “should I move back to Chicago”. I lived there my whole life until 4 years ago when I moved to NYC for work. In the meantime I had a second kid and now am juggling 2 kids, 7 and 3, one apartment and on 1 and 1/2 incomes. I totally feel where you’re coming from, I’m 33 and I owned in Oak Park and now rent out here and it sucks. But the view of the sunsets are amazing. So I guess it’s a tradeoff. Anyway, good on ya, I’m glad I found your site. Good luck.

Comment by shawn clarke — August 5, 2008 @ 6:30 pm